(28 Mar 2025)
RESTRICTION SUMMARY:
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh – 28 March 2025
1. Various of Rohingya refugees walking, shopping at Balukhali camp bazar in Cox’s Bazar
2. Various of a boy sewing shoes sitting on the sidewalk
3. Various of Rohingya refugees performing Friday prayers inside a mosque
4. SOUNDBITE (Rohingya dialect) Forid Alam, 36, Rohingya refugee:
“We are grateful to the people of Bangladesh, its government, and the donors who are donating. We are so thrilled after hearing the news ahead of Eid that we don’t have words to express our gratitude. We are praying from the bottom of our hearts and are truly glad.”
5. Various of children playing
6. SOUNDBITE (Rohingya dialect) Ziabur Rahman, 45, a Rohingya refugee:
“I felt really happy because if we had been provided with only $6, we would have faced enormous difficulties in running our families since we have no income here. Some people might have died, and others might have quarrelled due to hunger. Now, people will be able to live as they did before. I am extremely happy because I feel that I, too, will be able to live like before.”
7. Wide of Rohingya camp
8. Various of Hussain Bahar, a Rohingya refugee weaving a fishing net
9. SOUNDBITE (Rohingya dialect) Hussain Bahar, 60, aRohingya refugee:
“I am glad that the President of America is donating the money, which will help (provide food) for our grandchildren. We are very happy.”
10. Various of Rohingya camp, children playing
STORYLINE:
Rohingya refugees in camps in Bangladesh have welcomed news of U.S. government aid funding.
Aid agencies, the U.N. and refugees had voiced concerns after the World Food Program warned it may be affected after U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration announced it was cutting international aid.
The World Food Program said earlier this month that if it was not able to raise funds, it would have had no option but to halve food rations to $6 a month from the previous $12.50 per person.
The US has now confirmed it will provide $73 million in new financial aid for Rohingya refugees through the United Nations’ food agency, easing worries among more than 1 million refugees that essential food rations would be cut.
The news is particularly welcome in the run-up to the holy festival of Eid.
Ziabur Rahman, 45, spoke of his relief.
“I felt really happy because if we had been provided with only $6, we would have faced enormous difficulties in running our families since we have no income here. Some people might have died."
Bangladesh government’s Refugee, Relief and Repatriation Commissioner, Mohammed Mizanur Rahman, told reporters that he received confirmation from the WFP on Thursday that refugees in Cox’s Bazar — as well as the thousands who have been relocated to Bhashan Char island — will continue to receive $12 to $13 a month each in aid.
The U.S. had been the largest provider of aid to the Rohingya refugees, contributing nearly $2.4 billion since 2017 and providing the U.N. with emergency food and nutrition assistance, according to the State Department.
The U.S. provided about $300 million in humanitarian aid for the Rohingyas in 2024.
U.N. Secretary General António Guterres, who visited Bangladesh recently, said Cox’s Bazar is “ground zero for the impact of the budget cuts on people in desperate need.”
Hundreds of thousands of Rohingya reside in Bangladesh, including more than 700,000 who arrived in 2017 fleeing persecution in Myanmar.
AP Video by Shafiqur Rahman
===========================================================
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AP_Archive
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/APArchives
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/APNews/
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/ab33cc148d254d32a89e6f7f6b26eb3e
Author: AP Archive
Go to Source
News post in April 2, 2025, 3:06 pm.
Visit Our Sponsor’s:
News Post In – News