Talk of ending Department of Education worries parents, advocates for students with disabilities

(25 Mar 2025)
RESTRICTION SUMMARY:

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Westfield, Indiana – 21 March 2025
1. Tight of of a hand putting stickers on a hat
2. Tight of a little boy (Ian Cooley) drinking from a straw
3. Wide of people sitting around table putting stickers on hats
4. SOUNDBITE (English) Mendi Cooley, parent:
“So when I first heard, you know, talk in the media and the news about the closing of the Department of Education at a federal level. My very first reaction was concern because I wanted to understand how that would impact, you know, our family and our school district and what we’re doing here in our community.”
5. Tight of binders with school papers
6. A mother (Mendi Cooley) looking at her kid’s school papers
7. Tight of a hand going through school papers

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Indianapolis – 25 March 2025
8. SOUNDBITE (English) Kim Dodson, CEO of the Arc of Indiana:
“The U.S. Department of Education holds a lot of accountability. And they hold schools accountable. States accountable for the federal dollars that they receive. I think that’s the biggest thing that I’m concerned about with this executive order is who’s going to hold schools accountable. Who’s going to hold states accountable?”

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Westfield, Indiana – 21 March 2025
9. A dad (Brent Cooley) lifting a little boy (Ian Cooley)
10. Two little boys playing (Ian and his brother, Gabe)

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Indianapolis – 25 March 2025
11. SOUNDBITE (English) Kim Dodson, CEO of the Arc of Indiana:
“What I hear a lot from families is they don’t have a lot of choices. It’s not like they can go to any private school that’s in their area. A lot of schools aren’t just equipped to take students with disabilities.”

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Westfield, Indiana – 21 March 2025
12. A framed picture of a little boy next to a hat decorated with stickers
13. Tight of a little boy playing with a radio
Wide of three kids dancing in the living room
14. SOUNDBITE (English) Mendi Cooley, parent:
“If there was any program or part of the education experience for my boys that was being removed because of funding, it would be very concerning. It would make me want to think about, well, then, now that they wouldn’t be doing that, what will they do instead? And how would they learn that skill or whatever that program was supposed to be doing for their education?”
15. A little boy (Ian Cooley) dancing
STORYLINE:
When talk of dismantling the Department of Education came up during last year’s presidential campaign, Mendi Cooley says her first reaction was concern. One of her sons, 6-year-old Ian, has Down syndrome and attends an Indiana public school.

Last week, President Donald Trump signed an executive order paving the way for the Department of Education to shut down. The move has parents and advocates worried about protections for children with disabilities.

"I think that’s the biggest thing I’m concerned about with this executive order is who’s going to hold schools accountable. Who’s going to hold states accountable?" says Kim Dodson, CEO of the Arc of Indiana.

Cooley says she would be concerned if any of the programs at her child’s school were eliminated because of funding cuts. Trump said during a White House event that funding for programs for students with disabilities would be handled by the Department of Health and Human Services.

===========================================================

Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AP_Archive
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/APArchives ​​
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/APNews/

You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/c1ae4f316e1943999a791ffbe07de0f0

Author: AP Archive
Go to Source

News post in March 31, 2025, 12:04 am.

Visit Our Sponsor’s:
News Post In – News

Renegade_Rcih
Greetings I'm Renegade Rich, I own lots of websites and domain names. one of my favorite news type of sites are news sites. So I own lots of news sites and news domain names. My lates is https://news.post.in 😁