(19 Mar 2025)
RESTRICTION SUMMARY:
ASSOCIATED PRESS
Madrid, Spain – 19 March 2025
1. Various top shots of demonstration by protesters against Israel
2. Close of placard reading (Spanish) "Netanyahu genocide colonizes Palestine"
3. Protesters chanting holding banner
4. Protesters holding Palestinian flag
5. Carlos (no surname given) holds banner supporting Palestine
6. SOUNDBITE (Spanish) Carlos (no surname given), teacher:
"The situation was foreseeable, this was a false ceasefire, we knew that the State of Israel would continue with it genocide policy, with the authorization and complicity of the United States, and the silence of the European Union. I am not, personally, very surprised. I see it as a human tragedy and as an act that should force European public opinion to go into the streets and denounce it."
7. Close of placard reading (English) "Ceasefire now"
8. Protesters chanting
STORYLINE:
Some 300 protesters gathered in central Madrid Wednesday to demand the end of Israeli strikes on the Gaza strip and of arms sales to Israel.
Waving Palestinian flags and holding placards reading "stop the genocide" and "Israel murders", protesters expressed their anger at the unilateral ending of the shaky ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.
Carlos, a teacher in Madrid said that he was not surprised at the current state of events, and that he hoped that the recent Israel attacks would provoke a reaction in the streets.
"I see it as a human tragedy and as an act that should force European public opinion to go into the streets and denounce it," he said.
"We knew that the State of Israel would continue with it genocide policy, with the authorization and complicity of the United States, and the silence of the European Union," he added.
The shaky truce between Israel and Hamas was shattered Tuesday by Israeli airstrikes that killed more than 400 Palestinians, mostly women and children, according to the Gaza Health Ministry.
Now, Israel said it has resumed its ground offensive, with troops retaking part of a corridor that bisects Gaza, and its defense minister warning that attacks would intensify until Hamas frees dozens of hostages and gives up control of the territory.
The advances on the ground by Israel on Wednesday — which included sending more troops to southern Gaza — threatened to drag the sides into all-out war again. The ceasefire had given war-weary Palestinians some respite, allowed a much-needed surge of humanitarian aid into Gaza — and led to the release of dozens of hostages who had been held for more than 15 months.
Within Israel, the resumption of airstrikes and ground maneuvers has raised concerns about the fate of roughly two dozen hostages held by Hamas who are believed to still be alive. Thousands of Israelis took part in anti-government demonstrations in Jerusalem, with many calling for a deal to bring the captives home.
AP video by Iain Sullivan
===========================================================
Clients are reminded to adhere to all listed restrictions and to check the terms of their licence agreements. For further assistance, please contact the AP Archive on: Tel +44(0)2074827482 Email: info@aparchive.com.
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AP_Archive
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/APArchives
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/APNews/
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/03152922029b461f90d14dd9732f033f
Author: AP Archive
Go to Source
News post in March 24, 2025, 9:05 pm.
Visit Our Sponsor’s:
News Post In – News